The Islands of The Bahamas are some of the most quaint and charming islands that you will find to escape to for some much needed R&R, and we’re not just saying that because it’s home!
It really is a beautiful country; one that most definitely deserves some attention when planning your next vacation. There is so much to experience that one trip is certainly not enough! If you’re looking for an extra nudge before you book that ticket, or you’re simply counting down the days until your vacation, there are a few things that you should know about The Islands Of The Bahamas.
- The Bahamas Is An English Speaking Country – The official language in The Bahamas is English. However, you may hear many locals speaking in what is known as Bahamian dialect.
- The Bahamas is made up of 700 Islands & Cays – The Bahamas is a destination within a destination, which is made up of over 700 islands and cays. There are 16 major islands that are inhabited and are waiting for you to discover and explore.
- Dollar-For-Dollar – The Bahamian Dollar (BSD) is on par with the U.S. Dollar. That means 1-1 conversion. Also, if you’re coming from the USA there is no need for foreign currency exchange. You can use your USD on the islands.
- Most White Sand Beaches In The Caribbean – I once heard Butch Stewart, world-famous hotelier, drop this fact, “The Bahamas has more white sand beaches than the entire Caribbean combined”.
- The Best Beaches In The World – From Lighthouse Beach on the island of Eleuthera to the Tropic of Cancer Beach in Exuma, one can not deny the beauty of the beaches of The Bahamas. They’re just better.
- The Most Beautiful Place From Space (Blue Water) – NASA’s astronaut Scott Kelly spent one year in space and some of his most memorable photographs showcased the beauty of The Bahamas. Scott referred to The Bahamas as ‘the most beautiful place from space.”
- Shopping Is Better In The Bahamas – Heads up, The Bahamas has millions of jewellery and perfume stores. Want to know why? It’s because you will not be able to find better quality anywhere else. (well Europe, I’m sure.) Purchasing jewellery, alongside watches and designer goods in The Bahamas are cheaper and, if you’re a visitor, tax-free. Also, be sure to pick up some premium alcohol, I heard the prices are amazing!
- The Lost City Of Atlantis – Rumor has it that the Lost City of Atlantis is located in The Bahamas beneath the waters of Bimini. You can snorkel what is known as The Bimini Road; beautiful square stone blocks that are perfectly aligned. These fifteen hundred feet of stones are believed to have been a part of the road system of the Lost Continent of Atlantis.
- Amazing Wild Animal Encounters – The Bahamas is one of the only countries where you can have so many different wild encounters with the most amazing animals. It is the only place you can swim with the world famous ‘swimming pigs’, one of the only places you can swim with wild Atlantic spotted dolphins, you can pet and swim with the nurse sharks (and just any other type of sharks you like) and you can feed wild iguanas indigenous to The Bahamas.
- Pineapple Capital of The World – The island of Eleuthera is where you can find hundreds and hundreds of acres of pineapple fields, which are said to be the sweetest in the world. While The Bahamas isn’t a major player in the pineapple industry it has allegedly played an integral role in the making of Dole. A story frequently repeated on the islands is that the pineapples that started the Dole plantation came from the island of Eleuthera, hence why the island is called the ‘Pineapple Capital of The World’.